The Duke
The Duke is Melbourne's oldest hotel. Established in 1850 it was licensed in 1853 and operated as a successful hotel for many years. The Duke is set to re-open in 2013...stay tuned for updates!
logo
Standing on the north - east corner of Russell and Flinders street Melbourne since 1850, The Duke of Wellington Hotel could well be the oldest hotel in the central city. Builder Timothy Lane originally constructed it as his house, but apparently changed his mind and attempted to have it licensed. The 14 room, two storey brick building was used as a boarding house until Richard Dalton obtained a licence in 1853.